Frozen Brioche Pancake, Yuzo Kosho Curd, Trout Roe,
Lemon Scented Olive Oil, Marine Herbs
For the Brioche Pancake Batter:
150 grams milk
180 grams all-purpose flour
150 grams salted butter
90 grams sugar
6 grams salt
½ tsp yeast
1. Heat the milk and parsnips and remove from heat. Allow the parsnips to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and reserve it. It should yield approximately 4 cups.
2. Add the parsnip milk, sugar, salt and vanilla to a sauce pan. Heat it gently.
3. Combine the cornstarch, yolks, vanilla and flour in a bowl. Whisk to emulsify it.
4. Slowly add the hot milk to the yolk mixture while whisking.
5. Move the mixture to a double boiler and cook it until it thickens slightly.
6. Strain the thickened parsnip cream through a chinois and cool completely.
7. Fill a whipping siphon with the parsnip cream and charge with 2 cartridges. Reserve.
1. Warm the milk to ambient temperature and transfer to a glass bowl.
2. Add the yeast and sugar.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 4 hours or up to overnight.
4. Combine the activated yeast with the rest of the ingredients in a blender.
5. Transfer the mixture to a pot on the Control Freak. Using Probe Control and medium intensity, cook the mixture to a temperature of 150ºF.
6. Strain the mixture through a chinois and cool completely.
7. Transfer to the mixture to a cream whipper, 1/3 full and charge with 3 cartridges.
For the Yuzu Kosho Curd:
100 grams sugar
6 egg yolks
4 Tbsp butter
10 grams salt
1 Tbsp yuzu kosho
1. Place the sugar in an induction-ready saucepan and grate in the lemon zest.
2. Add the juice of the lemons, yolks and butter.
3. Cook the mixture on the Control Freak set to 165ºF using medium intensity until it has thickened.
4. Strain the mixture through a chinois and cool completely.
5. Add the Yuzu Kosho to the curd and stir to fully incorporate it.
6. Transfer the curd to squeeze bottle.
For the Lemon Scented Olive Oil:
250 ml high quality olive oil
1. Prepare an immersion circulator set to 145ºF.
2. Zest the lemons and combine the zest with the olive oil in a vacuum pouch.
3. Vacuum seal the pouch and once the immersion circulator has reached temperature, cook sous vide for 1 hour.
4. Remove the vacuum pouch from the bath and allow the mixture to cool to ambient temperature naturally. Reserve the pouch in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Gently reheat the pouch to liquify the olive oil and strain the oil through a fine strainer.
Prepare the surface of the Anti-Griddle by applying a thin film of cooking oil to the entire surface with a paper towel. Allow the surface to freeze completely. Dispense the brioche pancake batter onto the surface and "cook" like pancakes. Allow the batter to freeze just enough to flip the “pancake” and begin to freeze the opposite side. The goal is to completely freeze both sides of the “pancake” while the interior remains somewhat soft. Transfer the “pancake” to its serving dish work quickly, to top it with yuzu kosho curd and a generous serving of trout roe. Finish the dish with a few drop of lemon scented oil, micro dill and sea grass. Serve immediately.